Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Ramblings

When I watch my children with their children I am awed by them. They are wonderful mothers and sometimes I have to ask myself "How did these women become who they are?" I don't always remember myself as the greatest of moms but they turned out great. Both of our married daughters are hard working, loving, Christian women who care for their families with grace. Our unmarried daughter is still a work in progress but she is trying. She is hard working and loving to those she calls her friends. She is a new Christian finding her way. When she cares, sometimes she cares too quickly and that can come back to hurt her. We say she wears her "heart on her sleeve". I observe my husband working every day, coming home totally tired but still willing to go help me with a project at Daddy's house. He's been a good husband (most of the time) and I'm sure he would give you a list of my faults if you asked.
Lately I've watched my parents. Daddy is not doing well. He suffers from dementia and lately it has been getting worse. He gets confused and sometimes he is more than cranky. My mother suffers the brunt of his moods but she wouldn't have it any other way. They allow me to go to doctor appointments with them and occasionally I do a little project for them but for the most part they are taking care of themselves. Daddy gets upset when there is a job to be done around the house and he has to ask for help. Mother gets upset watching him struggle. They will celebrate their 62nd wedding anniversary later this month. In the bible it says "the two shall become one" and they have. She is his voice and he has been her strength. They use to take turns caring for each other but now she is the caregiver 90% of the time. Yesterday I heard him tell her, out of the blue, "I love you". She answered "I love you too". It broke my heart.

We'll talk sisters some other time. ;-)

4 comments:

The Willenbrecht's said...

What a sweet post. Thanks! Don't ever doubt where Kim, Lisa and I learned how to be how we are. I will be a thrilled mother if my children turn out the way yours have (if I do say so myself).

NOTE: the word verification for me is "flably" Ha!

Magras Don't Run said...

That's hilarious cause lately I've been feeling flably!

Anonymous said...

I remember Curt Panter telling Pernie, "I love you, buddy" and her saying "I love you too". Even before either of them were sick, it touched me to know true love really lasts that long. I picture me and Terrell @ 65-70. Still madly in love. We love you Reba. Aunt Tommy and Uncle John too. Veronica (Peachy Devine)

Anonymous said...

This was a very touching post. I know I'm not as close as the other commentors ,but I love your mother and dad. They have always been a part of my life even in a small way.

Veteran’s Day in America Buck and Chuck were Navy Seabees,  Their dad was Navy Fleet.  Apparently VERY different.  Had to get some work done...