Monday, April 5, 2010

Nashville

This past weekend the Lads to Leaders convention took Nashville by storm. There are also girls involved, called Leaderettes but this is my take on the weekend as the Magra of two boys. Jakob and Topher have been involved with the program for several years but this was my first time at the convention ~ held in the Gaylord Opryland Hotel complex.
I don't even look tired (yet)
We left Jasper around 3:45 Thursday, April 1st, afternoon. Kim and the boys picked me up after school and I was packed and ready to roll when they got here. It was a great drive ~ blue skies (no rainbows) Blue Skies and Rainbows
We stopped at a Crackle Barrel
(Topher's words) for supper
Kim, Topher and I had breakfast. Jakob had a steak, baked potato, roll ~ I did not think he was going to get full that day. . . .he also helped Kim with her bacon while downing a bottle of root beer.
What would a drive be without a
GameBoy and DS??
The boys were well behaved and alternated playing video games and practicing their presentations for the convention. We sang together then listened as each of them read their scriptures and Jakob practiced his speech. (which was awesome, by the way)
Here I am with Jakob in our hotel room.
The boys "striking a pose" in the Atrium area.
Is this a gorgeous view or WHAT?
Jakob and Topher at the Glow in the Dark
Putt Putt Golf place in the mall.
Kim won the round but I came in #2.
(or Peace which ever way
you want to read this photo)
We walked to the Opry Mills mall where there is this really cool indoor putt putt place with glow in the dark balls. They had some easy holes and some not so easy ones. Kim pulled out a victory and I came in second. There was a "Galaga" game there, as well. . . . one of my all time favorite arcade games ~ so it was a win win for me.
Kim, Jakob, and Topher (lining up his shot)
at hole # 17.
The box to the left of Topher is a light box so you can "re-glow" your ball when it starts to fade. Pretty cool, huh?
Kim and I in the "required" pose
We had lunch with some friends at
the Rainforest Cafe.
The Rainforest Cafe has animaltronic elephants, monkeys, and gorillas. There is lightening and thunder at set intervals and yes those are REAL fish in the tank behind the children. The girls belong to Billy and Cindy Thompson but I'm sorry to say, I don't know their names.
We posed outside the entrance to the cafe
in front of some great tropical plants.
Kim had this yummy caramel, pecan encrusted apple
for dessert (and snack later)
After lunch we walked back to the hotel so the boys could get ready for their first event ~ bible reading. They each received a certificate of recognition ~ no trophies for this event. Later that night at the awards ceremony each of them received a trophy for Centurion of Scripture. This requires them to memorize 100 verses of the Bible.

1 comment:

The Willenbrecht's said...

Thanks for all of that! I feel like I know just what you did! Love the background.

Veteran’s Day in America Buck and Chuck were Navy Seabees,  Their dad was Navy Fleet.  Apparently VERY different.  Had to get some work done...