Saturday, February 5, 2011

Things I learned last week

Chuck has been in the VA Hospital in Birmingham for over a week now. We have been to visit him every day. His situation is dire. He has suffered with dementia for over two years and it has almost won. The family was happy when they finally got him placed in a nursing home in November. A couple of days after their 63rd birthday, he developed pneumonia and was admitted to the MICU. On Friday they moved him to a regular room and on Sunday they moved him to the Safe Harbor wing of the hospital. This is the hospice wing. On Thursday the doctor told them it won't be much longer but today is Saturday and he is still fighting.
I learned the VA hospital takes good care of their patients but sometimes their nurses are overworked.
Buck brought Dreamland barbecue from Tuscaloosa one evening and we learned that Celeste like ribs! Retta ates hers with a fork ~ but Celeste picks hers up (like I do). Notice the raised pinkies??
Yesterday, as we were leaving, Lisa noticed Buck's shoes were untied and she bent to tie them for him. I already knew she can be kind but it's always nice to see it in action.
Today I learned that Krispie Kreme makes a heart shaped doughnut! Kim brought Arby's roast beef sandwiches (YUM), chips, cookies and drinks to the hospital. Retta's brother brought these unusual doughnuts. (I ate two, YIKES)
I did not post a weight report because I did not lose but I did not gain. I can not NOT exercise and expect to get in better shape ~ sitting in front of the computer or game system doesn't count they only work my fingers....but my hands look pretty good! :-)

No comments:

Veteran’s Day in America Buck and Chuck were Navy Seabees,  Their dad was Navy Fleet.  Apparently VERY different.  Had to get some work done...