Friday, June 12, 2009

My Dad

Teresa, Daddy, and me
A big 80th kisseroo from 2/3 of his daughters.
(Wanda is in New Mexico)

My dad celebrated his 80th birthday last month. Eighty! He said he never thought about being 80. I guess I never thought much about it either. This week I've been thinking about it a lot. I went with Mother and Daddy to the doctor on Monday and he seemed "distant". On Tuesday Mother mentioned she thought he had had another TIA (transient ischemic attack). He usually bounces back from them in a day or so but today is Friday and he still isn't himself, all he wants to do is sleep, totally unDaddyish. He has been diagnosed with dementia and has been having TIA's for a couple of years. A little confusion and forgetfulness for a couple of days isn't bad. This one this week, I'm afraid, is prophetic of things to come. We are going to see his neurologist on Monday to access the damage and possibly start another medication. He says he may not go ~ but just between us ~ I think I could pick him up and put him in the car if necessary ;-) I know he is still in there (check out the smile on the kissing photo) but sometimes he gets lost.

1 comment:

Teresa said...

Well, I am SO behind on your blogspot!!!
Haven't been home much to check on it! Hope your Dad is okay..... I know it worries you. Hope that Buck is getting straightened out, also!
Tell all hello for us!

Veteran’s Day in America Buck and Chuck were Navy Seabees,  Their dad was Navy Fleet.  Apparently VERY different.  Had to get some work done...