Wednesday, February 25, 2009

A bit of a ramble. . .

My husband has a twin brother, Chuck. Chuck went through AFIB a few years back and now has a pace maker. For one reason or another ~ no one can say exactly why ~ he was diagnosed with dementia about three years ago. He has been in the hospital for two weeks now with a heart "flutter" and some weird infection in his feet that makes it hard for him to walk. I went to visit him today. They had him up walking around the nurses station yesterday and he had been sitting in a chair this morning. They were just getting him settled back in his bed when I arrived. Rhetta, his wife, was there so we visited a while. Dementia is a strange affliction. He can recall details from years ago but may not be able to tell you what he had for breakfast this morning. He always knows who I am and even recognized me when I talked to him on the phone the other day. When they discharge him he will be going for 30 days of rehab at a nursing home in Bessemer. That's close to Rhetta's job and she will be able to see him every day after work.
In other news. . . .
Riley has been hit by a car. He can walk but he favors one leg and limps a little. I wrapped him in a beach towel and picked him up and he didn't even whimper so I don't think it is too major.

Lisa started her job at St. Vincent's East and is eagerly looking forward to that first paycheck.

Mother got hearing aids last week and she is enjoying the sounds of things she has been missing. Daddy is happy she got them 'cause now they can turn down the volume on the TV. People think Daddy is loosing his hearing sometimes but I think he is just being clever ~ if you don't think he heard you then you won't expect an answer and he can ignore you. BUT try walking into the kitchen and speaking in low tones with him sitting in the den and he can hear every word because sometimes he will comment on what it being said ~ see CLEVER!

Have to give a shout out to my buddy Shaw. I was not feeling well last night and took some pills around 8 o'clock and went to bed. This morning when I got up at 4:30 ~ I had a text message from a phone number I didn't recognize. Well, of course I texted back "Who is this?" He let me know it was him and now I have his number in my phone so I don't think it is some weirdo next time.

In case you've forgotten I am going on a road trip with Kim and the boys in a couple of weeks. I haven't traveled with "little people" in quite some time so it should be interesting? I'm sure I will have tales to tell when we get back.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, the road trip will be different, for sure!
"Are we there yet?"...."How much further?".....just to name a FEW of the questions!
But it will be fun for you! Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

I didn't mean to be Anonymous! It is from me, Teresa!!

The Willenbrecht's said...

Great Post! Fun to read. Going to watch Dr. Who...have you watched that lately? It is good!

Magras Don't Run said...

? Dr Who ?

Veteran’s Day in America Buck and Chuck were Navy Seabees,  Their dad was Navy Fleet.  Apparently VERY different.  Had to get some work done...